Monday, March 05, 2007

Defending our NHS

On Saturday I was proud to be standing shoulder to shoulder with workers across the health service defending our NHS. I attended the Midlands NHS Together Rally in Birmingham, hearing a strong message from our General Secretary, that UNISON will defend the NHS and it's members. The announcement of appalling public sector pay awards really galvanized anger amongst those at the rally.

As we were in Birmingham, health workers and members of the public were participating in events all over the country defending our NHS. It's essential now that we continue to build support local and build for further action. If we are to call a national demonstration in the summer it's essential that it is done quickly and that branches are supported with appropriate resources and staff time to build for it.


I love a good demonstration, but more then that I love my NHS. I will continue to use my energies to defend it and the principles on which it was founded